Thursday, February 27, 2014

Is it Sinful to be afraid?

There are some Christians who treat all fear as sin.  The line of reasoning is that since the Bible says multiple times "Do not fear" then people are sinning anytime they feel fear.  This never made sense to me.  What if a car is about to hit me?  I shouldn't feel any fear? 

I had always read these passages more as God saying, "You do not need to be afraid, my child. Trust me.  I am here.  I can give you peace in the midst of a storm."  The passages, to me, were encouraging exhortations rather than blunt rebukes. A call to faith and trust in Him.  A reminder that we don't need to be afraid and anxious all the time.  We can trust God!

Following is a video by Ed Welch from CCEF in which he speaks about these passages.  I hope it encourages you.

http://vimeo.com/67671530

No comments:

Post a Comment